We are on the cusp of entering 2017, and I have felt like the last 6 months (if not more) have been a blur that has lacked any production. I don’t write much, I feel like our house is constantly a mess and I feel like I’m not bettering myself as a human being/husband/father. I don’t think these areas that are in bad shape, but why not work to improve on them? I think evauluating yourself in different areas is important, but I don’t know that I’ve sat down and looked at it on different levels.
So I have some ideas of things I want to do to better myself as a human being, as a husband, as a father and also as the red Mighty Morphin’ Power Ranger. Wait, let’s face it, I could not score anything more than being the blue ranger to be honest. Probably that lame kid version who drives the Jeep in that Turbo movie.
So below is a list of rambling ideas and “resolutions” (in no particular order) I want to take on for 2017, and some, start right away.
GOALS AS A DAD
- Get the kids on a more consistent schedule (Lunch/Dinner/Bed)
- Less iPad/More Imagination
- Move away from letting them watch YouTube
- Start introducing basic “chores” to them
- Have them sleep in their own beds (this means clean up their rooms)
- Get them outdoors more (weather permitting)
GOALS AS A HUSBAND
- More Date Nights
- Improve my communication skills
- Be more affectionate
- Compliment and Cheer on more (she works her butt off)
- Be more spontaneous and have adventures
- Spend less time looking at my phone in bed, and more hanging with her
- Make her feel as beautiful to herself as I see her every day
GOALS AS A HUMAN
- Drink more water – begin to ditch soda/energy drinks
- Eat healthier – eliminate fast foods
- “Dress to Impress” not that I have to impress anybody, but boosts self-esteem
- Begin blogging on a regular basis (Weekly)
- Get out more, enjoy “adventures”
- Tone up (maybe put on muscle) get rid of “dad weight”
- Budget money better
- Read more often
- Spend less time in the online world and more time in the real world (thus the Facebook break)
- Keep a clean house (this works for all 3 really)
- Take time to just sit in quiet for a few minutes every day
- Build more structure and schedule in my day-to-day life
The last year has made me feel a need for a much more minimalist lifestyle. It would be at a very beginning level, but I find the things that had major influence or interest before, now fall to the wayside behind just appreciating the important things in life. It may be a “welcome to 30” thing (8 months late) or just the changes that have come about the last year in my career and such, but I just feel like I want to embrace things that are more fulfilling.
So I think come morning I’ll move Facebook to deactivated and remove it from my phone and just enjoy the holiday season. Once the new years come, then I’ll evaluate things, but I remember not missing Facebook much the last time.
So I hope this is the lead in to many more blogs, and I appreciate if you’ve read this. What are some of the things you are working towards in 2017?